It’s hot outside. What are you going to do about it? Read on for some suggestions on how to avoid melting like the Wicked Witch of the West. Bonus: these 24 ways to stay cool double as great opportunities to unplug from technology.
1. Make a splash at the pool
If you're not lucky enough to have your own swimming pool, you can always find a friend with one or check out the public pool. Or you can make one from scratch like these guys.
2. Contemplate the meaning of life at the beach
Everyone needs a little quiet time, even troubled toddlers.
3. Hang out at a water park
Head to your local park or visit one of the top 25 water parks in the United States.
4. Have an epic water fight with the Poseidon Storm Blaster
For the kid and the kid-at-heart.
5. Get an adrenaline rush from white water rafting
Photo Cred: White Water Magazine
Not for the faint hearted.
6. Float your worries away on a canoe / kayak / paddleboat
It's time to connect with your inner Pocahontas.
7. Race your friends on jet skis
Or just do donuts around each other.
8. Try your hand at paddle boarding
Learn to do it right, here.
9. Find a friend to take you boating
A great way to relax after a ruff week.
10. Try and fail at water skiing
Don't worry, there's always someone who fails harder.
11. Spend a lazy afternoon tubing
Or maybe not so lazy…
12. Bounce your heart out on a water trampoline
13. Explore under the sea with snorkeling
Here are the world's 10 best islands to do it.
14. Explore deeper under the sea with scuba diving
And make new friends.
15. Go chase some waterfalls aka canyoneering
The outdoor activity that combines hiking, climbing, jumping, rappelling, and swimming.
16. Slip n slide like there’s no tomorrow
Easy enough to buy online or at the store or here's how to build your own HUGE slip n slide.
17. Go pro at an indoor ice skating rink
You go girl.
18. Knock some things over at a bowling alley
One of the best ways to stay cool AND letting off some steam.
19. Get frosty with some ice cream or popsicles
Check out these amazing looking dairy-free ice cream recipes.
20. Embrace your fruity side with a smoothie
These 10 healthy summer smoothie recipes ought to do the trick.
21. Mix things up with a refreshing Summer cocktail
Thai-Basil Sangria anyone? Here are 24 modern summer cocktails to try.
22. Show your friends who’s boss at a board game café
No, these are not just bars or cafés that happen to have a game or two (which are also great). These establishments have more than a handful of games available. Find one near you.
23. Escape to another world at the library or book store
Groucho Marx said it best: “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
24. Get smart at a museum
If you need inspiration, check out this list of the 25 best museums in America.
What are your favorite ways to stay cool on a hot summer day? Share in the comments!